In the 19th Century, the Vila of Sintra was a great inspiration for Romantic artists and writers, attracting increasingly Nobles and the Bourgeoisie of the time, consequently building up Palaces, Manor Houses and Chalets. By that time was built one of the most prestigious properties of the historical heritage of Sintra: the Quinta do Saldanha. The property was built in 1830 by Marques de Saldanha, maternal grandson of Marques de Pombal, prime minister of King. D. José, on the mountain and under the shadow of the Mourish Castle, with a view over the National Palace of Sintra. It comprised two houses, one at the higher level, for the Marques, and another at the lower level, for his Mother. His mother's house was named 'Casa Italiana' (Italian House) due to being designed by a prestigious Italian architect who elaborated a semicircular building with interior and exterior frescoes. Around 1840, the property was sold to an English family. The Italian House returned to the possession of the descendents of the mother of the Duke the Saldanha, who was the daughter of the first Marques de Pombal, of his second marriage with D. Ernestina Wolfange. The Casa Italiana has a coat of arms of the daughter - The Countess of Rio Maior, D. Amalia de Carvalho Daun e Lorena de Saldanha Oliveira e Sousa, painted on the ceiling of the entrance porch. The coat of arms has an eagle with a key in its beak, a symbol of the history of the first Count of Daun, who was arrested and trapped by a rival in a tower of a Castle in Bohemia. At the beginning of the 20th Century, the Italian House was again occupied by the Saldanha family, who donated the most valuable house to the Patriarchate of Lisbon and sold the Italian House to an English family. In December of 1987, the Italian House is sold again and undergoes restoration works during 2 years. 8 parking spots.